Sunday, April 5, 2009

Unbelieveable. In more than one way.

First off, GO STATE! National Championship here we come!

Yesterday I went to pick up snacks for the game at Kroger. When I started walking into the store there were several people standing outside the store so I stopped to see what was going on. One table was a group of girl scouts selling cookies, nothing out of the ordinary. Next to them stood a man wearing a Kroger apron holding a can. On this can it said "Help the retarded." I went into the store unable to get this guy and his can off my mind. As a special education major, I'm sure that I am more affected by the terminology and technicalities because it is something that I constantly face but I couldn't help but wonder if other people were affected by this too. I got back in my car and told my friends about this guy standing outside. Both of them (who are not special education majors) said they couldn't believe the can said "retarded." One friend then asked me what term I would prefer for the can to say. Honestly, I struggled thinking of any word I would want this man to have on his can. I now wish I would have taken the time to ask him about his cause and inquire more about his word choice. This is just another reminder that these are the types of things we face everyday, even outside of Kroger!

3 comments:

  1. Melissa,
    I am pretty sure I gave some change to this guy because I went to Kroger twice yesterday and I saw him the first time and then I gave him some change the second time. I didn't look at the cup. Now, I wish I had looked at his cup so I could have asked him what it was all about...thanks for bringing that to my attention. Maybe I will see him again, in which case I will ask him what he is collecting money for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering which organization he was collecting for. The sad part is that in using that work, he (or the organization) was probably more effective in appealing to the general public. Thanks for posting about this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which Kroger were you at? Did it genuinely seem like he was trying to help an organization or was he just trying to gain money for himself? I often think about the homeless and the crazy ways they "advertise" for different organizations. It just seems so insane that a person would raise money for an organization in this manner. Seems unrealistic if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete