Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Who has the right?

Last week in class we briefly touched on the subject of censorship. Censorship is something we struggle with all the time, whether we realize it or not. When we were children our parents decided what we could and could not watch. When we were in school our teachers decided what books we were allowed to read. When I was in high school my principal decided what stories could not be published. And as I look towards the future I realize that I will have that same power in my classroom. Is it really my right to decide what things children should be exposed to? Not only that but how do I decide what types of things should be discussed in my classroom and in the literature I provide to my students?!

Last week I was watching One Tree Hill and I was thrown into one of the characters shoes. On the show one character, Haley, is an English teacher. For one of her writing assignments one student wrote about her rough childhood. The writing was graphic, sensitive and honest. As a teacher Haley chose this students writing to print in the newspaper because she thought it was inspiring. The principal on the other hand thought the topics written about in this paper were not appropriate to print. Haley decided to print it anyway, knowing that her job was on the line. She was fired for her actions. As a future teacher, I wonder what I would have done in her shoes. Did the principal have the write to censor a student's life story? What topics are we not allowed to address within our classrooms? I am so torn in this debate. While I want my students to be exposed to these real life issues, I struggle with knowing if that is my place to teach about these issues. And if it is my job, then how do I approach such topics? Is there good literature that can help students relate to these struggles?

So much to think about with a lack of answers to all my questions. We will be teaching children so many things and yet it is up to us to decide what we will be teaching them. Do we have that right to decide?

No comments:

Post a Comment